Let me be still and listen...

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

food, food, food

Hi y'all;0) from your favorite German-Bostonian...


What has been on my mind constantly over the past few months is our diet, our dinners and snacks. It has been challenging, to say the least, due to food sensitivities (which I talked about in earlier posts) and varying likes and dislikes throughout the family. On many days I basically make several dishes, or at least one member (and I will not point fingers here;0)) will eat out, opt for a pbj, take-out or rather just snack his way through the pantry instead of even touching what is on the table.

No I am not a fantastic cook, but I like to try different things, "healthy" dishes, whole grain pasta, I make oat meal with nuts and seeds and would love to cut back the meat consumption. I also like to add fresh veggies or frozen, and there I prefer to use a variety as well. On the other hand I do make basic German (my family) dishes, such as Schnitzel, "Geschnetzeltes", Potaotes with Quark, or my mom's special "poor man's dish - Sour eggs", a dish with potatoes, sweet and sour mustard sauce with bacon and soft boiled eggs. Yes, yes I know, only hard boiled eggs on this side of the big pond, but I have grown up and LOVE soft (6 minutes-) boiled eggs. No I don't give them to my children, much against my grand mother's advice;0)

I understand if at least the last one makes many of you feel uneasy and I promise I haven't made it in a long time, I only make it for me and/or the kids, and again, the kids eat the hard boiled version. But the others I have made and except for Schnitzel they are tolerated at most. Restrictions, restrictions.

Also, cooking needs to be easy and quick, I am not going to look up the ingredients and preparation shouldn't take more then 20-30 minutes and not require more then two counter tops...

The reason for my intro is that I have found a website/blog which has helped me lately to introduce "new" ideas to the table and are being "liked" by almost all members...Well princess L is an exception here since her likes exclude anything that is not Mac and Cheese, PBJ's,  cookies, chocolate or candy.

As you can imagine the discussions we have on a daily basis about dinner choices or veggies. She does eat fruit, otherwise I would be more worried then I already am. And here I found that if I include her in the cooking and preparation process, she may even try one or the other ingredient.

But back to my new discovery: It's called ( and I love the name;0)): Moms Who Think


They have an 8 week list of easy family dinners, and so far we have tried the pesto chicken over angel hair pasta, the meatloaf, the bubble pizza and honey brown sugar pork chops...

The meatloaf didn't turn out that great, I must have done something wrong, I used turkey instead of beef, maybe that was the mistake. But the other meals were generally yummy and easy to prepare.


So if you need some inspiration, have a look here.


That was it from me for today. JJunior has been clinging to my leg begging for attention, I better give him some;0) Love and peace to all of you.


Namaste,
Romy












1 comment:

  1. Hi Romy, I hope you are enjoying your new home. Take care!

    ReplyDelete